Saturday, November 21, 2015

Song(s) of the Day # 671 Wand


A couple of days ago I read a 'Road to Damascus' type review about California band Wand on the Tulip Frenzy blog listed on the right hand side of this page. The author had just seen said band playing a small venue in Washington D.C. and was incredibly effusive about their performance and potential. Read it. It's a great review. The word 'transcendent' is mentioned.


It led me to listen to their latest album, (one of two they've released this year), and it didn't take me long to realise exactly where this ecstatic, fulsom praise was coming from. It's a really heavy record. Not my general territory but there's definitely something happening here. Listen to it late and night and it may well scare the living daylights out of you.

 

The band are from the incredibly prolific Ty Segall scene from the West Coast that seems to be churning out stuff in this vein on an almost weekly basis. It's Psychedelic for sure. And sludgy. But there's something of Nirvana's mastery of all that Sabbath noise. I've just posted the first three tracks of the album on here. I imagine I'll be playing them and the rest of the album a fair bit over the coming months.





No comments:

Post a Comment