Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Inkwell, York


Given that I've been plundering things I chanced upon while I was there last weekend and other stuff I've picked up on since through its Facebook page and website I should now find time to write a bit upon the shop itself.

I was in York last weekend for a short holiday break with my parents. They're both in their eighties now and so of course we're not sure how often we'll be able to do these things together in future so it was all rather poignant. Still, we had a very special time together.


As is my wont, or perhaps it's a consumerist urge I just can't scratch, I was looking to buy a record to help me commemorate the occasion. I'd actually already bought one, an original copy of The Yardbirds' Over Under Sideways Down in a shop across the road before I spotted this place.

It's a true believers record and memorabilia shop. Books, comics and all kinds of other related matter which have caught the owner's eye. Somewhere between a market stall and a conventional record shop. It's called The Inkwell, as in 'hang around the inkwell..' from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues, a nice touch. Quite clearly a labour of love with the individuality and personal touch of the propietor, (a bloke named Paul), written all over it. I bought an old Osmond Brothers album, no don't snigger, and we had a conversation, mostly on his side, over how they were probably unfairly ignored and forgotten in serious terms given the quality of their actual output. Having brought home the 4 pound acquisition and listened to it, I'd have to say I agree. It's not bad at all.


I was back in on Monday before I left. This time I bought a Kenny Rogers & The First Edition album which is an ever greater find and which I've posted a selection from this week. We talked this time about a great lost and truly strange and remarkable Frank Sinatra concept album called Watertown, that was on his shelves, initially put out in 1969 but recently re-released.

Paul spoke about it with great enthusiasm and authority, just what you're after from people working in record stores. As a result I'll investigate further. He's doing what he's doing for the same reason as I work on this blog. Because it's important. To us at least. Next time I'm back in York, which will be soon, because I also fully discovered over the weekend what a wonderful city it is, I'll be back there. Here's the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment