Sunday, March 22, 2015

Song(s) of the Day # 428 Aerosmith


Now this an odd one for me. American AOR,  category which this pretty much fits squarely within, is generally a closed off area of pleasure to me. But on Friday I found myself listening to this and the band's mid-Seventies album Toys in the Attic and enjoying both. The unashamed borrowing from Led Zep and the Stones is blatantly apparent (Stairway to Heaven came up next on the YouTube playlist after it). Aerosmith were copyists. Music journalist Dave Marsh said of them, 'understood in the Seventies as a second-rate imitation of the Stones with a first-rate guitarist offsetting a third-rate frontman'. But it's a sunny day outside my window, it made me feel like watching Dazed and Confused again, and I'm on holiday and heading down South to see my parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment