Monday, April 1, 2024

Best Ever Albums - 2,000 - 1,001 -1,973 The Walkmen Bows + Arrows

 

In 2001 I went to New York for the third time. I hope to go one more time. It's the city which means most to me. Apart perhaps from Newcastle, the place where I live now. I went with a good friend and his partner, who later became his wife. One of the things we did was catch The Walkmen playing with Interpol in a cool club. The Strokes had just hit. New York seemed like a place to be again. 

The Walkmen played first and my friends and I cared for them enormously. They were urban but also strangely Weimar. They created an atmosphere which was very much their own. Hear it on Bows + Arrows I much preferred them to Interpol. I find some of that band's records quite powerful. As a live proposition at that point in their gestation Interpol were far too obviously in ebt to Joy Division. I never really understand bands obviously in thrall to Jot Division. That has already been done. As well as it ever will be.The Walkmen by contrast staked out their own path.



No comments:

Post a Comment