Monday, June 10, 2019

Pip Blom - Boat



Dutch musician and band Pim Blom have been bobbing along on Indie radars for two or three years now. Regulars on Marc Riley evening sessions and the European club circuit, they've generally gathered up a set of favourable if not blazing set of reviews.


So, mid 2019, they finally come to launch their Boat. their debut album in the bigger pond. It's a sprightly but not outstanding product, distinctly Indie, with rattling, chiming guitars and spirited slightly childlike vocals and an overall sound most obviously recalling The Breeders and compatriots Betty Serveert. It's the kind of thing that would appeal to stalwart British radio DJ Steve Lamacq, and that's not altogether a compliment.



This is perhaps the Post-Fifty cynic in me. But I have been listening to music for a while. I was around for The Last Splash and Elastica first time round and though this is a highly spirited version of those records, it still is a version of it just the same.



The album certainly had its moments and is good company for its thirty five minutes span. I tapped my toes with no little enthusiasm for the songs I liked best, most of the ones that I posted here. It's not one I'll be going back to that often. One for evening radio listening rather than my record player methinks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment