Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Song(s) of the Day # 1,822 You Tell Me


Though much feted in many quarters, the charms of Sunderland's Field Music have always rather passed me by. Ridiculously fussy for my tastes, more 10cc than Steely Dan, I'd given them up as not for me. But now, here's a collaboration album from the band's Peter Brewis and Admiral Fallow's Sarah Hayes and it's much more to my fancy.


I think it's Hayes presence that's the key to my change of mind. While the arrangements can still be slightly kitchen sink her folk vocals, coming over as a restrained Sandy Denny, lend a very sweet hue to proceedings. I also found myself warming a lot more to Brewis's approach. It's altogether a rather charming record. The band are giving an in-store appearance at Newcastle's Reflex Records, (down the road from me), this Thursday. Might need to pop along to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment