Thursday, August 4, 2016

Things Found on my Local's Jukebox # 146 The Killers


As an abstract space I try to keep this blog above general snobbery and elitism as there's so much of that beyond these windows in a place I can't control. With that attitude in mind I'd have to say that The Killer's recorded output and their small wave in the scheme of things passed me by for the most part, largely because I can generally sense Duran Duran and U2 rather than Bowie or the Velvet Underground or Iggy as their central guiding influences. Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for two songs that they've released. One is Human, which for some reason my eighty year old father took a fancy to a while back  and started quoting having heard it on repeat play on British morning radio. The other reason is this, from their first album Hot Fuss where I think they really achieved the synthesis they were aiming at between poppy commerciality and actual emotion. Plus the 'I've got soul but I'm not a soldier,' line and subsequent surge in the song which was a true masterclass in terms of appearing to open your heart to the masses offering general improvements for all in every imaginable respect while actually opening your selfish fist to stretch for the pot of gold ahead of you.




No comments:

Post a Comment