Thursday, July 7, 2016

Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Lines


Steve Gunn's new record is out, and as I expected it's a thing of simple splendour and beauty. Taking a similar starting point for most of its tracks, it's a wonderful experience of twin guitar adventuring. I'm a sucker for this stuff, particularly of albums and songs that remind me of  CBGB's stalwarts Television, still the starting point for one of my most significant life journeys of musical discovery since I first bought Marquee Moon, some thirty three years back.

 

Gunn has a similar sense of wonder and ambition as that band. Slightly, less out there and veering closer to folk and blues than they did in their recording career, his songs are nevertheless journeys of thoughtful, melodic discovery. Another notable album in a year that seems to be offering many very good ones!





No comments:

Post a Comment