Saturday, February 1, 2014

Song of the Day # 14 - The Lovin' Spoonful

We'll dance until morning. Just you and me.

More '60s. I could have chosen 5 or 6 things by the Lovin' Spoonful; Rain on the Roof, (which I chose originally but I've changed my mind), You Didn't Have to Be So Nice, Summer in the City, She is Still a Mystery, Nashville Cats, Daydream album track Coconut Grove (such a great band that a song of that quality can somehow not be a single). They epitomise a certain kind of '60s positivity and joy. They also really knew their American music. They described themselves as a cross between Mississippi John Hurt and Chuck Berry and took their name from Hurt's song Coffee Blues. While all around them opportunists were donning beads and stripey and flowery shirts, cool boots and Beatles haircuts, the Spoonful suited them. Here's their debut single. A leading inspiration for Postcard Records.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment