Sunday, February 16, 2014

Covers Crime # 2 UB40

 
In the early '80s UB40 were a very decent pop reggae band. Somewhat dour, but this reflected the times. They churned out two or three strong albums and plenty of good songs:I still like, Food For Thought, Tyler, One in Ten, So Here I am and so on. After three or four years their sales and profile began to decline and that seemed to be that. At which point they decided to do an album of covers of Reggae and Ska favourites from their youth  and the huge Number 1 success of the first of these Red Red Wine ensured them transatlantic fame and fortune, probably an economic requirement if you're a jobbing eight piece band. Their versions weren't bad but as with Darts and Showadywaddy they somehow tainted the originals all of which to my mind remain better versions. Call me a fuddy duddy! Still in response Trojan Records released an album of the originals subtitled The Music That Inspired a Generation which found its way into my collection so perhaps I have something to be grateful to them for. This album's highly recommended. Not a dull moment.
 
 
 
1. Tony Tribe - Red Red Wine A Neil Diamond Song. This doesn't have that really annoying 'Red red wine. You make me feel so fine...' rap in it.
 
 
2. The Slickers - Johnny Too Bad. My own particular favourite. On the Harder They Come soundtrack. A story of Jamaican gangland crime. They gave this to Astro the toaster to sing.
 
 
3. Eric Donaldson - Cherry Oh Baby. Just leave it alone. This wasn't meant to be sung in Brummie accents!
 
 
4.Winston Groovy - Please Don't Make Me Cry. Yes, you heard. Winston Groovy!
 
 
5.Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers To Cross. Come on boys. This is Jimmy Cliff!
 
 
I suppose some might come back and say the UB40 versions were better. I'm not having it. And as for that duet with Chrissie Hynde!!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment