Saturday, January 20, 2024

1984 Singles # 32 Depeche Mode

 

                                         'It's a lot....it's a lot.... it's a lot....it's alot..... like life1'

Ooh Depeche Mode. Kinky boots! I didn't really know what kinky boots were in 1984 and had little interest in finding out. I think I was just too old to get into that band.. These things happen. They were a younger brother or sister band. If I'd have bought an album by them it would have been 1983'a Construction Time Again when they started to realise and mine the commercial potential of the Stalinist Stakhanovite look just as started falling for it big time myself. I'd started donning a pair of steel rimmed spectacles and fancying myself as Leon Trotsky reborn as a middle class suburbanite. I certainly coveted the record for a while and almost bought it. It had a fabulous sleeve image of a shirtless worker swinging a jackhmmer on an ice capped mountain top and robust dance tunes like Love, In Itself.

Then they lost me. 1985's Some Great Reward had a couple of daft singles which put me off them entirely. People Are People and Blasphemous Rumours. What utter twaddle. Master & Servant was slightly better but seemed to be about kinky S&M which I had no knowledge of at seventeen nor the remotest interest in finding out about. The rest of Some Great Reward turned out to be considerably better but my attention had moved elsewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment