Saturday, January 9, 2021

Albums of The Year - 1967

 1967 is probably where my own record collection seriously began. Not literally, I myself was transitioning between one and two. But retrospectively. I've got loads of records from this particular year. It's probably where the transition within Rock from singles to albums really took place.Here is the Top Ten on the Best Ever Albums chart.

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. The Velvet Underground & Nico -  The Velvet Underground & Nico

3. The Doors - The Doors

4. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

5. Love - Forever Changes

6. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Band

7. Leonard Cohen - The Songs of Leonard Cohen

8. Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love

10. The Doors - Strange Doors

Here's my own top ten from vinyl records that I own. Never particularly cared for a couple of the songs on Sgt Pepper though I love plenty on it and having listened through to it just now on headphones it's easy to understand its enduring position. Anyhow, it's a couple of spots lower down. But I play Forever Changes an awful lot more, hence it's position. Strange Days could easily have been on my list but I restricted myself to one selection per artist. Such a wonderful year for music!

1. Love - Forever Changes


2. The Velvet Underground & Nico -  The Velvet Underground & Nico



3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band



4. The Doors - The Doors


5. Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow


6. Aretha Franlklin - I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You



7. The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks


8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?


9. The Who - The Who Sell Out


10. Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Safe As Milk


Honorary mentions for Nico, Tim Buckley, The Byrds, Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, The Stones, Moby Grape, 13th Floor Elevators, Country Joe & The Fish, The Monkees, Scott Walker and many others. Ten is really not enough for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment