Friday, September 18, 2020

Song(s) of the Day # 2,438 East Man

 

Certainly a first for this blog. A rave review for the kind of record I don't generally document here but one that I loved instantly and utterly on first hearing last night.


I know next to nothing about Drum'n'bass and Grime two genres this, Prole Art Threat the second album from East Man, (released a couple of months back) seems to draw on. But I know energy, invention and excitement when I hear it and this record has all three in spades.


Anthoney Hart is the man behind this, and he has a rep and track record going back to his work in pirate radios in the 1990s. He's an autodidact and a highly accomplished one. This album is a detailed and vivid description of working class street, high rise and council estate life that's as rich and evocative of that existence of anything you'll hear this year. Beats are great too.


As I said I'm no authority on this stuff, I just know the record sounds wonderful to me. For the back story, I'd refer you to this fabulous article about Hart and his way of working, on the Loud and Quiet blog listed on the right hand side of this page. It's a fascinating read.


If the thought of doing actual research doesn't appeal then just listen to Prole Art Threat, a record that takes its name from a Fall song title. Plenty of depth here but first and foremost a record that works on surface level. Never lets up for a minute. Loud, proud and incredibly English.


No comments:

Post a Comment