Thursday, February 21, 2019

Melody Maker - Unknown Pleasures - 20 Great Lost Albums Rediscovered - # 6 Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star


I don't really have much time for this. The record or the article about it, the second written by Paul Lester in the book. They're both garish, narcissistic and misshapen, acts of indulgence. I challenge you to get through either at one sitting. From 1973, A Wizard, A True Star is supposedly a paean to psychedelic drugs, though I'd suggest it's probably actually one of the greatest warnings against going anywhere near them ever recorded and released.


This post is only two paragraphs long but I found it incredibly difficult to write, probably because I did so while listening to the record that it's about and it's incredibly difficult to write coherently under these conditions. Rundgren has written a few songs that appeal to me over the course of his long career but they're generally the ones where he applies some kind of discipline to the process. This by comparison is an unholy mess! As is Lester's tribute to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment