Sunday, August 20, 2017

Song of the Day # 1,309 Black Springs


Sydney, Australia's Black Springs released their debut album When We Were Great earlier on this year and fortunately they still are. Great I mean! I wish I could post more than just this one track but this all that's available to me. I hope it will give something of a taste of what they're about and encourage you to investigate further because the record is a consistent and melodic listen which sounded highly more-ish on first listen. Eleven well crafted, dreamy, chugging songs, apparently divided between a couple of vocalists,  one or two of them between six and eight minutes long but I promise you won't notice and if you do, you'll probably want to thank them anyhow. In terms of sound you might describe Black Springs as Teenage Fanclub's slightly gloomier Australian nephews, the band themselves also mention Deerhunter, The Clean and The Church as touchstones all of which make sense.

Here's how they put it themselves: 

A I always have difficulty with this question! We are a pop band first of all but we have a propensity for wig-outs and repetition. It is simple! There is a lot of focus on the guitars which are kinda, jangly and kinda fuzzy. Our bass player has more of a funk background so the basslines are always very groovy. I would describe our vocals as honest.'




No comments:

Post a Comment