Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Things Found on My Local's Jukebox # 208 Glasvegas


A long, quiet evening at Rosie's this evening without any of the regulars which allowed me to indulge myself. I wanted to listen to this for some reason, having chosen it at work today to give it a listen for the first time in years. Glasvegas got a lot of hype in the UK when they emerged, largely I think because of a wish on the part of the music press and the likes of Alan McGee for a wave to ride. The band didn't achieve that for them. I think this was their best song. And although this wasn't the greatest thing I put on tonight, (the Velvet Underground, Chiffons, Modern Lovers, Talking Heads, Ronnie Spector and Shangri-Las followed on), it still sounded good coming out of the jukebox. A fine marriage of the Wall of Sound and Scottish familial angst almost ten years on!


No comments:

Post a Comment