Monday, July 21, 2014

Song of the Day # 184 Townes Van Zandt

 
A sunny Sunday afternoon yesterday at the Newcastle Sage Americana Festival. I bought two absolutely impeccable records, more of which later. One of them was the third studio album by this man. A staggering artist. His songs have what I could only describe as a stillness which is in turns awe inspiring and chilling. I chose a live version of one of his darkest which was the first of his that I heard I heard, brought to my attention by a cover version from Tindersticks, (not a bad one either), in the early nineties. This qualifies as a story in song too. Quite breathtaking lyrics. Beautiful in their simplicity.
 

'It's plain to see, the sun won't shine today
But I ain't in the mood for sunshine anyway
Maybe I'll go insane
I got to stop the pain
Or maybe I'll go down to see Kathleen.

A swallow comes and tells me of her dreams
She says she'd like to know just what they mean
I feel like I could die
As I watch her flying by
Ride the north wind down to see Kathleen.

Stars hang high above, the oceans roar
The moon is come to lead me to her door
There's crystal across the sand
And the waves, they take my hand.
Soon I'm gonna see my sweet Kathleen.

Soon I'm gonna see my sweet Kathleen.'
 
C - Van Zandt

No comments:

Post a Comment