Saturday, June 28, 2014

Song of the Day #161 - David Hemmings

 
Now here's an interesting thing. To a certain kind of person at least. Until yesterday I didn't know this record existed. Now I own a copy. There's a very canny record stall owner who works in a shop in Canterbury which focuses on Rock and Roll culture. T-Shirts, incense, bongs probably, you know the kind of thing. I pop in there on a daily basis when I'm down here to see my folks. He always sees me coming way off  and proceeds to dangle objects that might be of interest in front of my nose.
 
A couple of days ago I debated buying a copy of Sticky Fingers with the Warhol zip. In the end, the zip was just in too good condition so it priced it out of my range. Yesterday, he offered me this. For those not in the know, Hemmings was a blazing comet of an actor in the late sixties. Perhaps he's best known for his starring role in Blow Up directed by Antonioni the Italian auteur which probably describes the 'Swinging London' of the time better than any other film from the period. This was Hemming's attempt to branch out at the height of his fame. The album was recorded in 1967 in LA. Produced by Jim Dickson the Byrds producer and with a backing band consisting of Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman from that band and drummer Ed Thigpen from the Oscar Peterson trio. So it sounds good!
 
I'll give it a full review when I'm reunited with my record player in Newcastle. For now I'm just glad to have it. I'm that kind of record collector. Here's the opening track. A Gene Clark song. The record stall guy and I agreed Hemmings sounded a bit like Bowie before Bowie sounded like this here. Thanks to Paul of the record stall!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment