Tuesday, September 8, 2026

It Starts With a Birthstone - 200 Albums for 2026 # 120 Ultra Lights - Pleasure's All Yours

 


I noticed recently that these days I'm generally listening to young bands from Idaho that sound quite a bit like Pavement. There are worse things to do as you make your way into your sixties. As far as I know it's not an indictable offence. Though you can't be sure of anything these days.

Ultra Lights are the next best thing. They hail from Atlanta, Georgia and sound not unlike Kiwi Jr. Montreal's very own nephews of Pavement whose latest album Blowin' Up I eulogised on Wednesday. 

Ultra Lights are definitely too cool for school and cast their net slightly wider. To err Parquet Courts, Teenage Fanclub , The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and err Pavement on debut Pleasure's All Yours.as with Kiwi Jr' they keep it simple, avoid complications, are catchier than the Plague and  have more hooks than Captain Hook. This seems to be a feature of this err Modern Age. 

They're firing aces and tying laces for thirty minutes here. It's a formula sure. But pretty much Formula One, Certainly on the podium come the chequered flag. . Another near bullseye from Darren Jones, best friend and first mate of this blog. Many thanks Starbuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment