The Strokes and I have history. Twenty five years ago, between their first and second albums I went to New York City with a good friend and his partner and we seriously considered moving there. Partly because of the Strokes and the scene they'd inhstigated and spearheaded there.
We saw Interpol and The Walkmen while we were there. Aso Mo Tucker and watched Alan McGee DJ-ing . Visited Trump Tower. Had some intense and memorable experience. It was a few months from 9/11. I met a guy in a bar who I later suspected might have been there. The idea haunted me for a while. We drank a lot of beer walked, experienced the great city to the full. I haven't been back. I'm not sure I will.
The move was not feasible. New York City like everywhere then and now was in the process of gentrifying and I didn't have a skillset that was required. I also decided it probably wasn't for me much as I loved it. . Instead I went to Wroclaw, Poland by train and got the teacher training qualifications and skillset that I required to get to where I needed. To gain some kind of authority and have at least some idea about what I'm doing inside and outside the classroom. I'm glad I became a teacher. It's the great road.
While I was in Wroclaw that long hot summer of 2002. I listened to Is This It ? a lot. I went out with a Ukranian girl who was on the course. She was working in Katowice and I was offered a job there during the course. I accepted partly because of the girl and partly because of the school she was working at which sounded like a place I needed to be.
This proved to be the case. I went to Katowice and found the road I needed to be on . The relationship didn't last but I learned a lot from the Ukranian girl . In Katowice I learned pretty much what I needed to know about what I do. I worked hard and also played hard. Learned about life and love. Met the most beuatiful woman I'll ever know. Had an incredible and joyous experience with her. Which still continues.
Now I'm 60. I'm listening to The Strokes seventh album Reality Awaits in my parents living room. . It seems pretty good to me. Veined with life and experience like we all are. But unashamedly emotional, goofy and intense and maverick and true to what made them such a great band. I'd say they remain one. It also feels like they're finding new roads. Which is something it's always a good iea to try to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment