Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,873 Groupie

The Fast & Bulbous blog, listed to the right side of this page, is always a useful resource to chance upon things you haven't heard. They, (or he I presume), have just posted their top hundred albums of the year, and there's a lot of interesting stuff that's new to me.


Like this, an album named Ephemeral, from a Brooklyn band called Groupie. It's a New Wave / Post Punky and occasionally slightly Grungey album. Melodic and thoughtful and full of the sounds that you might expect from a band with this kind of base of influences.The female vocals reminded me of Courtney Love quite a bit. I will make no inappropriate comparisons between her and this particular band's name. Oops, I just have. One of the album's songs Daleko, is sung, mostly in Polish by bassist Ashley whose mum emigrated from there in the Eighties. It's one of the best tracks on a very good record and certainly the best song I've heard sung in that particular language this year.

The record is in turns extrovert then introvert, full of great guitar sounds, and slightly desperate angsty moments. It gets better the longer it spins. It's so New York, and full of wonderful reminders of that spectacular city's sleazy thrill and underground legacy. Kim Gordon fronting Sonic Youth. CBGB's  It's listed at Number 4 on this sites particular rundown and I can see and hear why. It would certainly have been somewhere on my own list for this year had I discovered it earlier. I thank Fast & Bulbous for this recommendation and will continue to investigate their list and post what I find and like there, over the coming weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment