Monday, January 11, 2021

Memories of Bowie

 Something I've been a bit remiss not commemorating. The fifth anniversary of Bowie's passing. Here's something I posted on the day:


A very memorable day for millions of people today with Bowie's passing. Terribly sad of course to see such a true artist die but also a chance for us all to relive countless memories. Regardless of how great a fan you are, but surely almost anyone who has been alive for the best part of the last fifty years and loves music will have had many emotions and memories stirred. Here are a few of mine.

                                                                     1. Kooks




Reminds me of my older sister who is no longer with us. This was from the hippest record in her collection, Hunky Dory, and is the song from it that most reminds me of her.

2. Moonage Daydream



Like many people Ziggy Stardust was the first Bowie album I bought. Perhaps the greatest otherworldly pop album ever made. A quite flawless record from start to finish and this features one of the greatest electric guitar solos in history courtesy of Mick Ronson.

3. Boys Keep Swinging





My first personal memory of Bowie on Top of the Pops with this video towards the end of the seventies. Even to my young, unformed mind it was clear that something was going on.

4. Sound and Vision



Probably my favourite Bowie song of all right now. At least a straight punch up between this and Golden Years.

5. Life on Mars





A Christmas in Budapest with one of the most wonderful and strongest people I've ever met. Listening to this together quite a few times.

6. Lazarus







Last Friday I went to an event in Newcastle called The Record Player at Tyneside Cinema where the whole of Bowie's last album as it turned out was played. It was quite a remarkable record and experience. Here's a track from it.

7. Quicksand



Finally, a memory from today. Third Hunky Dory selection so I guess by default it must be my favourite album.Like countless millions I spent a lot of today thinking about and listening to Bowie. This was the one that finally almost made me blub. Particularly with the line, 'knowledge comes with death's release', but really just the whole damned beautiful song.

No comments:

Post a Comment