Friday, December 6, 2019

Albums of the Year # 20 Joan Shelley - Like The River Loves The Sea

From September:


When I saw Joan Shelley's latest record, Like the River Loves The Sea on top of Rough Trade's new list of albums to listen to last week, I thought, (though probably subconsciously), 'I don't have time for a tasteful, well mannered, crafted folk album of the old school'. Well as it turns out I definitely do, as I'm discovering on my first listen through to it.



Shelley is not remotely flashy. The songs here are completely pared to the bone. But she understands innately the essence of this strain of Pastoral Folk, in that it's rooted in the eternals, the landscape and cultural consciousness we share, the changing and passing of the seasons and our need to understand processes that we never fully can.



It's a beautiful, lean record, embroidered lightly by Shelley's calm, lilting voice, and an innate feeling and empathy for beauty and the essential verities of things. Altogether a quite lovely album.



No comments:

Post a Comment