Sunday, September 1, 2019

Things Found on My Local's Jukebox # 415 Iggy Pop


Second night since Rosie's re-opened and second night I was there. I know, but I do live just round the corner. Turned up late on Saturday evening planning to just have a couple before heading back for the football. Didn't make it for the football. 

There's an advantage of turning up at a pub well into the evening. This is that virtually everybody is drunk while you are still sober. This allows for a certain amount of manipulation. Rosie's is still great but its jukebox is rubbish. They replaced a perfectly excellent one with one that has a poor selection of songs, no way of forming your own playlists and most importantly no function telling you how many songs are still to play before you hear the one you have put on. You might have to suffer fifteen AC/DC tracks first, and if you knew that you could nip round the corner to The Newcastle Arms where their jukebox, (the very one that Rosie's used to have), would tell you all you wanted to know as well as having everything you wanted to play on it.

So, back to the advantages of being in a pub where virtually everybody else is drunk while you are sober. Because the crap jukebox Rosie's has now has one important redeeming  feature. You can play the song you want to hear next for two credits jumping the queue of everything else that people have put on before you. A slightly expensive option perhaps but it means you can indefinitely circumvent the possibility of the fifteen AC/DC songs and maintain your own good mood for a small extra cost. So long as you can resist the hordes of drunken punters who think that going back to AC/DC might be a good idea, the world is your oyster.

It takes a bit of determination to pull this off but the music playing in the establishment I'm drinking in is important to me so I stuck to my task. I had to guard the jukebox and press the two credit option as each song I selected started to play to keep back the tide of shocking music that inevitably occurs once people have lost their critical faculties late on a Saturday night . This meant fending off a lot of inebriated individuals or couples who wandered across hoping to get AC/DC back on, or god help us Oasis. I told them, 'look I have a playlist of songs'. That put off some but not all of the most determined drunks. I told them they had no idea how long they would need to wait to hear their song. Some would not be put off even by that. So I let them use one of my credits, knowing I could use the nuclear option of the two credit function to hear my song before they got to hear their's. Worth twenty pence of anyone's money in my book. Sometimes life allows for small victories.

                                                             I put on Lust for Life. It seemed apt.


No comments:

Post a Comment