Thursday, August 1, 2019

Robert Forster


A remarkable photo of Robert Forster just posted on his Facebook page. The text, written by the man himself, explains why it's so special:

'Greetings from Brisbane with the Australian band tour now over. The last dates were MONA in Hobart last Friday, and The Esplanade Hotel in Melbourne on Saturday night. Both shows were incredible, and I know my enthusiasm for this tour and the European tour of April/May has been strong, but not every tour goes well and not every show is a pleasure - which is what has happened this time. I have had great bands and tour managers on both tours, and I have been very happy with all of the 29 band shows over the last months. To those who took the opportunity to come along, I thank you. 

Now to something else. In my last post, I spoke of the hope of providing a surprise - well it has happened, in the form of a photograph of myself. I know you are thinking - does Robert Forster's vanity know no limits; but like the shot I posted of myself kneeling by Keats's grave back in April, I believe this shot is of value. Let me explain.

After performing at the Caravan Club in Melbourne on July 7 a few weeks ago, a person by the name of David Lederer showed me a photograph on his phone of myself on stage with The Go-Betweens at the Central Club in Melbourne in 1987. There I was with blonde hair (I can be dated by my hairstyles in the Eighties) in a Birthday Party t-shirt playing the bands Ovation acoustic guitar. It was wonderful to see, through the years though, i have been shown a few photographs of myself on stage from this period. But there was a twist.

David told me that this photograph on his phone was from a reel of film he had recently found and had developed. He had taken all the photographs on the reel - except this one - this was taken by Grant McLennan. Mid performance, mid song, Grant had taken the camera off David and photographed me. I am looking at Grant. It is the only shot i know he ever took of me, and here was David telling me the story with the photograph 32 years later. I asked David for a copy and he gave it to me at the Esplanade Hotel on Saturday night. Thank you David so much.

Warm Regards

The blonde guy from 1987.'

No comments:

Post a Comment