Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Santigold - I Don't Want: The Gold Fire Sessions


A new album, (or whatever you care to call it), from Santigold came out a couple of weeks back. Over the last ten years she's  consistently been one of the most interesting figures operating around the dance mainstream. At least for me, not someone who pays that area of music an enormous amount of attention or would claim to know an awful lot about the field. But over the years Santigold's stuff has consistently been of interest to me.


And this ranks with anything she's done over the course of that time. Released without much notice, I Don't Want; The Gold Fire Sessions has been presented on its release as much as a Mixtape as a conventional album. Recorded on the run over a couple of weeks in the studios with Dre Skull, it's at once Old School Jamaican and Afro-Caribbean Dancehall and also sounds utterly up to date, at least to my fifty two year old ears.


It's sexy, bubbly, warm, playful and inventive. What category it comes under I'll leave to others who know more about these things than I do. Whatever, it's just great, and seems like an apt soundtrack to the long hot Summer of 2018 which here has been almost relentless and felt like it might go on for ever but is now finally but inevitably sinking towards its inevitable close.




No comments:

Post a Comment