Thursday, May 31, 2018

It Starts With a Birthstone - Albums For May



After a quiet beginning, May became a bumper month for albums with some splendid records crowding round for attention, particularly during its last few days. Of course I had Courtney's Tell Me How You Feel to look forward and then savor. It didn't disappoint, was packed with excellent songs and lyrics, bringing back some of the simplicity that she's lost sight of on occasion on Sometimes I Sit. It was altogether very welcome and I feel fairly sure that her star will continue to ascend.

It wasn't my favourite album of the month though. New Orleans duo Lawn trumped her in that respect a couple of days back when I heard their barnstorming debut album Blood On The Tracks. Barely noticed by many others I imagine, (at least yet), it's nevertheless been taken to the heart by It Starts With a Birthstone and I'll continue to sing its praises whenever the opportunity arises over the coming months.

Apart from these two there was plenty else worthy of note. Two fine albums from another two unheralded American outfits Hussy and Cloud were quite wonderful in different ways and Eleanor Friedberger released yet another wonderful solo record. The Wooden Shjips album V, which I talk about in the Song of the Day slot today is a trip.

There were also records by artists with greater profile, Parquet Courts, Beach House and Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, all of which I listened to a number of times, liked in parts but which ultimately dipped below my expectations for them. As for Arctic Monkeys. They dropped out of my Top Ten altogether. Better luck next time boys!



No comments:

Post a Comment