Thursday, March 29, 2018

Bonny Doon - Longwave


It's probably Bonny Doon's misfortune, (though I shouldn't imagine they're losing much sleep over it), that I've already had my slacker, casually strummed album of the month with Nap Eyes splendid I'm Bad Now. You hardly need two and that record ticked the boxes that you expect from this stuff and Bonny Doon's second album Longwave, by comparison is a relative disappointment.


This kind of stuff all originated in the Nineties I guess with the likes of Pavement and The Lemonheads. The whole sensibility was based on the idea that less was more I guess, the reasoning that you couldn't be seen to care too much which actually meant that you cared a lot if you arched your eyebrow in the right way.



But while Nap Eyes have more than enough sass and inspiration to transcend their inspirations and find their own niche, Bonny Doon remain determinedly in first gear throughout Longwave. So I guess it's back to I'm Bad Now,  an album that really shows how this stuff is to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment