Saturday, May 7, 2022

What I Did Last Night - TEKE TEKE - Head of Steam, Newcastle

 


Yesterday, after a day working from home, something rather unexpected happened. While making my way through the deeply violent and frankly deeply gratuitous Korean classic Oldboy I chanced upon the fact that TEKE TEKE were playing at a small venue just round the corner from me.

A Canadian outfit. they'd been reposnsible for one of my favourite discoveries of last year, Shirushi, a fabulous mix and match of Japanese OST and thrift store invention. It didn't take much to persuade me to head down there and round off the week in what's become an unusual way of spending my time once I start to think about it. I've hardly been to what you might call a conventional gig for over two years.

TEKE TEKE are not what you'd really call conventional in any way. A seven-piece of definite Japanese leanings. Inspired to form in tribute to Takeshi Terauchi. Seeing them in the flesh is an altogether different experience from listening through to the wondrous Shirushi one more time.

What might come across as monster movie hipsterism on record is rendered as the purest fun within its live context. Freeform dance jams of the most enjoyable kind. Fifty of us or so were lucky enough to have caught it on TEKE TEKE's secon dlive appearance in the UK after a festival in Wrexham. The best Friday night fun you can have with your clothers on. B-52's, meet Surf Rock meet Manga, meet a night at the funfair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment